Sunday, October 12, 2008

Aloneness

I turned 32 the other day. I celebrated my birthday by spending it alone - and it was the best gift I could have given myself.

Aloneness is not about emptiness or isolation or loneliness. It’s about having space to explore the self. It’s about letting the noise of life slip away and listening to the harmony within. It’s about exploring both separateness and interconnectedness.

Aloneness is a state of being so often avoided by our society. Why? Is it that uncomfortable to stop and hear the thoughts in our heads? Is it that terrifying to acknowledge our true feelings? Is being ourselves so painful that we can only survive by drowning out our true nature? By desperately grasping onto someone or something to distract us from ourselves?

"...[T]here is a tremendous difference between loneliness and aloneness... Loneliness is a negative state... Loneliness is the absence of the other. Aloneness is the presence of oneself. Aloneness is very positive. It is a presence, overflowing presence...

"When there is no 'significant other' in our lives we can either be lonely, or enjoy the freedom that solitude brings. When we find no support among others for our deeply felt truths, we can either feel isolated and bitter, or celebrate the fact that our vision is strong enough even to survive the powerful need for the approval of family, friends or colleagues."

~ Osho Zen Tarot

2 comments:

Terry said...

Crap! I KNEW I forgot something...I had this nagging thought in my mind about something but couldn't figure it out. I am SO sorry. We need to go out for Mexican to celebrate you being as old as me ;) I totally suck.

Susan said...

Oh puh-shaaaaw. I purposefully didn't post this until several days after the fact, as I didn't want anyone to make a fuss about my birthday. But I won't say no to CHIZ! How about this - we go dutch AND you have to take the crap you forgot last weekend. Deal?